Tuesday, July 14, 2009

houston.

So, let me tell you a few things about my time in Houston. I arrived on an overnight flight - the kind that you're supposed to sleep on (though I know no difference - yes, you know me and my sleeping habits). Yet, apparently I can't sleep through the piercing noise of screaming children. Maybe it's my maternal instinct, maybe it's said child sat immediately behind me, regardless, I was pulling an all-nighter come our arrival in Houston 6am central time.

In my infinite wisdom (though not regret), instead of passing out, I decided to spend my day in Houston. Which was wonderful, besides nearly throwing up on one of many Matisse paintings in the Menil Collection. Guess I just can't handle my exhaustion anymore. Seriously, I already looked like a vagrant dragging all my carry-on items with me, but nevertheless was thisclose to passing out on one of the plush benches.

Anyway, photos weren't allowed within the museums (Menil, Rothko Chapel, and the Byzantine Chapel - the last my absolute favorite), otherwise I would have captured the beautiful, but dizzying floors that gave me vertigo in the Menil, or the cool, dark beauty of the Byzantine Chapel. Instead, you get the muggy outdoors.

The Menil Collection, Renzo Piano

Broken Obelisk, Barnett Newman (UWers - familiar?), outside the Rothko Chapel

enclosed courtyard, Byzantine Chapel, François de Menil

2 comments:

Unknown said...

At least the architecture in Tejas was cool. Did you make it to the Nasher to see the Giacometti sculptures?

Merith said...

I thought the Nasher was in Dallas...? Regardless, no I did not make it to the Nasher. :)